PARTICIPATION AND LICENSE
Participation in Triathlon North Africa is open to athletes of any nationality, licensed or not.
The Sahara Triathlon is an extreme triathlon and each participant who takes part in the event individually must do so under their own responsibility and agrees to have a fitness level sufficient to complete each segment. All athletes need to have health insurance. The organization team does his best to get the maximum comfort to each participant however some things in the dessert are limited or are missing.
The water temperature may fall to 12°C. In this case, the swimming part will be shortened.
The whole area of Taghit is stable and without any threats or danger. The whole race will be monitored by medical and police services. It is strongly recommended to have travel insurance!
SAFETY AND MEDICAL ASSISTANCE
Areas will be controlled by guards. Medical services along the route are authorized to remove any participant for medical reasons. Any emergency vehicle that needs to use the cycling route will indicate their presence by light and sound signals. In all cases, the vehicle will have priority over the triathletes. It is obligatory to each athlete to keep his things in the basket, things out of baskets might be removed for safety reasons.
Swimming cap and start number (both will be provided by organizer), Neoprene swimsuit, Swimming goggles, Bicycle helmet, Sports bottles, Running shoes.
Each participant MUST have all the mandatory equipment.
Facultative but recommended equipment: Neoprene gloves, Neoprene socks, Neoprene cap, Cycling shoes, Race belt, Sunglasses, Cap/Visor, Nutrition, Suncream.
Each athlete will have his own place marked by his number where he can put his race equipment. In the first transition (T1) it’s mandatory for each athlete to place his things into the bag with his number and strap up. The organizer has no responsibility for things out of bags. Participants will be allowed to enter the cycling part after wearing a cycling helmet and race number placed on the position that can be read from the back.
In the second transition (T2) participant will have a basket with his number on his place to put his equipment. It is obligatory to each athlete to keep his things in the basket, things out of baskets might be removed for safety reasons.
Mandatory equipment will be controlled in the transition area.
More details will be presented on the pre-start briefing.
Drafting is the act of riding behind another cyclist in an area of reduced air pressure created in the wake of that leading cyclist.
The drafting zone is defined as a rectangular area 10 meters long by 5 meters wide surrounding each bicycle.
A triathlete can only enter the drafting zone of another triathlete in the following circumstances:
- for security reasons
- at an aid station
- at the entrance or exit of the transition area
- in sharp turns
If the triathlete is reached, he must immediately leave the area of drafting
- CUT IS PROHIBITED of other triathletes
- Passing always on the right side of the road pavement.
- We recommend to take some nutrition supplies on the bike section, i.e. bring own food (gels, energy bars)
In the case of drafting: Time penalty 5 min will be added to the finish time.
Should inclement weather or circumstances beyond our control prevent the holding of the event according to the planned program with all of its segments (Swim, Bike, Run) . In this new event alternative in no case, the race is postponed to another date or repayment of any amount will be made.
- Cancellation of the swim leg due to bad sea conditions: the event becomes a duathlon
- Cancellation of the cycling event section, due to inclement weather, natural disaster with the disqualification of the road: the event becomes an aquathlon
- Cancellation of the cycling section and swimming: the event becomes a running race
The race is further adjusted according to the rules of ITU.
- The race takes place in a remote place. Each athlete must bring his own bicycle spare parts!
- This is an extreme race! You must be in good condition. The aid station will be available but we strongly recommend to bring for the race your own nutrition (e.g. energy gel, salt tablets, and energy bar).
- Organizers don´t guarantee the receiving of visas. The granting of visas is entirely within the competence of the Embassy. The organizer returns 50% of the entry fee when no visas are issued to all those registered before September 1st, 2020!